Friday, February 5, 2010

Nathan's Famous New York Kosher Halves

Its only fair to take a look at an authentic Kosher dill from Coney Island in Brooklyn, NY, after reviewing a newcomer like McClure's. Nathan's is the name synonymous with Coney Island Hot Dogs and the condiment served is their kosher dill pickle.

I found these at Kroger for around $3.79 in the refrigerated pickle section, alongside the Claussen varieties. To our local Kroger's credit, they're carrying a better variety than they have in the past. As the picture shows, there's generous amounts of mustard seed, garlic and other goodies in the jar, so they looked like a good pick.

I was expecting bold flavors of dill, garlic and herbs, but these were considerably mild. The cucumber taste prevailed, with only a hint of dill and garlic. The brine itself was considerably less vinegary than, say McClure's or Vlasic, and even the Kroger-brand fresh dills. As I said, with the amount of stuff in the jar, it was a little surprising that the flavors were so subtle.

The crunch was good, but it was average--not like the crisp Kroger dills or McClure's bites. I tend to find spears or halves less crunchy than a whole pickle...the contiguous cucumber skin definitely changes the bite texture while in the jar.

Now, I'm not saying these were a bad bite, but they definitely differed from my expectations, having eaten true deli dills in New York, and at Ann Arbor's own world-famous Zingerman's Deli. Nathan's Kosher dills would make a fine side to something like a chili-dog where you needed something fresh and neutral to wash off the strong chili flavor. Like McClure's add zing to something bland, these subtly flavored halves provide a crisp refresher to bring you back from the brink with spicy food.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't refrigerate them! Never opened them but didn't refrigerate them. Must I throw them out??

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the worst pickles I have ever had. I only purchased them because they were out of Clausens and they were next to where Clausens were.
    This is my second jar that I’ve tried, not at the same time so these were made at different times. They were mushy on the inside kind of like a sponge. Some of the color it was a bright green in another jar. I highly recommend that you do not buy these again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skin is over pickled way to chewey

    ReplyDelete