Monday, December 3, 2012

Claussen Hot & Spicy Spears

Claussen Hot & Spicy Spears
I was in Kroger today and saw this new variety in the meat section next to the other refrigerated Claussen pickles. The fire-red label caught my eye (take note, marketeers!), and I had to have a look.  I've liked Claussen Deli Dills for their crisp crunch and unique flavor, and lately have had a thing for a little heat and spice, so $3.79 and a trip home, and I was set to give them a try.  Oh, if you have a Kroger card, they're only $3, so really, not even all that expensive!

As you can see in the picture, the bottom is layered with garlic, mustard seeds, herbs, dill and red pepper chunks.  Yummy!  The spears all look nicely cut and very uniform (take note, Vlasic, yours have been slipping lately).  The whole package is very inviting.

First, because they're Claussen deli dills, they're nice and crunchy, as we'd all expect.  They've got that Claussen flavor, heavy on garlic that will seem very familiar.  After the fist bite, there was a little heat at the back of your throat, but nothing terribly impressive.  My initial thought was that Claussen's interpretation of "hot" was a bit subtle and a little disappointing compared to the smack on the head that Vlasic Zesty's give you.  However, after the 3rd bite, the hot & spicy artillery caught up with the garlic scouts.  These things have a healthy punch afterall!  The heat is very nice, and not at all overpowering.  They're slow to throttle up, but never get wild enough to be objectionable.

I have to admit to eating a couple, putting the jar back, and then 20 minutes later, going back to the fridge to try another.  And, 20 minutes later, going back for another.  Hrm...seems they're mildly addictive...nothing on the label indicates such... ;)

I think Claussen hit a home run with these.  If you're in the mood for a Claussen Deli Dill, but want something with a little kick, the Hot & Spicy variety will fit the bill.

21 comments:

  1. These are excellent on a Chicago Style Dog. They remind me of Van Holten's Hot pickles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like hot and spicy food as long as it's not over the top. I think my jar is defective. I would compare eating these to licking the surface of the sun. I ran some of the juice down the drain and the fumes about knocked me over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you!

      Delete
    2. I third that. We add heat to almost everything we cook, but this is a whole different category. I eat the Vlasic Zesty with NO problems. I think these pickles are canned in pure acid. I have a whole in my throat now.

      Delete
    3. The level of spice seems to vary significantly from jar to jar. Personally I like the "acid/licking the surface of the sun" jars. Over the last few months every jar I've gotten has been on the weaker side so maybe they toned down the recipe.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    5. My jar was definitely over the top. The burn was instant and nothing in the ingredients indicated what caused it. It was not a flavorful burn like roasted habanero or jalapeños, which I enjoy. This was more like a lot of straight black pepper and red pepper oil. I admit, what it lacked in flavor, it has in heartburn. I love Claussen and I love spicy foods, but when I can't taste anything after the 3rd one and the burn just keeps on burning, I have to give a thumbs down. These could be used in a spicy relish, deviled eggs, GI disinfectant or something along that line, but as a delicious snack...not for me.

      Delete
  3. just wrote an haiku for you guys cuz im feeling epic today

    it seems like im stuck in a bit of a pickle
    can i tickle your nipple?
    maybe make it a triple, bring a friend, lets make it a trend

    to have a threeway at the park.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For you sissy's that can't handle the heat....eat sweet pickles ! These are GREAT !!! My mom used to make hot dills and finally, I have found the match. Don't change a thing ! I love them !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Gosh! I love hot stuff, but this jar was over the top! I thought about installing seat belts on my toilet to keep from launching through the roof the next morning after eating just one of those atomic pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MY MOUTH TASTES LIKE THE NAM

    ReplyDelete
  7. >>Be me, eating pickles, hot and spicy.
    >>I eat, so spice, very hot
    >>I accidentally the whole jar.
    >>pickle juoisse all over my handz
    >>go to scratch balls
    >>mfw that heat
    >>file lawsuit against claussen
    >>law man laughfs in face.
    >>dat feel when my balls will never be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even my poop tastes spicy. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We thought our jar was defective too. Way way too hot without warning. So glad the grandkids did not pick one up. The jar doesn't say it is THAT hot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way too hot!!!!! For a half an hour I had to keep ice in my mouth and keep rubbing ice on my tongue. Took them to my neighbors and they tried them. We only took one bite and spit it out The taste was horrible along with the fire on your lips and tongue. If the jar would fall and break and hit your skin it would burn for hours. I got the juice on my fingers and the still tingle and that was four hours ago. May be they would be good to clean your jewelry with but only if you wore rubber gloves.




    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM.....BUT now our area stores NO LONGER CARRY them...HELP!!!!!!! We want more....

    ReplyDelete
  12. The reason you went back for more was because spicy food makes your body want more. Never eat spicy food if you are dieting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These a absolute heaven in a jar, sadly my local WM stopped stocking them and I cant find them anywhere, if I ever do I will buy 10 or 20 jars ....Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. umm picture is out of focus...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wicked hot! I have been eating these pickles since they were released several years ago. The jars Vary but I will say on the whole the majority is screaming hot at least speaking for the Kentucky region of distribution. I would compare them to biting into a green jalapeño and if you're a pepper eater I'm not talking about the mild green jalapeños you get from time to time randomly, I'm talking about the hot ones that push the level of raw habanero hot. I love spicy food and I never order my hot wings under the level of hot, so these pickles completely surprised me to be turned loose on the general public with just an unassuming hot and spicy label.

    ReplyDelete