Saturday, January 16, 2010

McClure's Garlic Dill Pickles

I found McClure's Garlic Dill Pickles at Eastern Market in Detroit this past fall. I don't recall the price, but I want to say it was around $6--gourmet rates. The McClure folks have locations in Detroit and Brooklyn, New York. That combination seemed unusual to me, but I figured if it was a good pickle in deli-savvy Brooklyn, New York, there must be something to it. They had a small table set up in the market with samples of their spicy and garlic-dill varieties. The spicy were HOT, but still very tasty. I opted to take home a jar of the garlic-dill and save my taste buds from certain cremation.

The first thing I noticed was all of the fresh dill weed and garlic stuffed into the jar. No mincing or sprinkles here--you're gettin' a whollup of herbs and spices with these babies. These are very crunchy pickles. I loved the crisp crunch in every pickle and in every bite. They also pack them in 1/2 spears for a portion of the jar. I wasn't sure at first, but found out later...

The second "different" thing you'll notice about McClures is that they have a stronger vinegar flavor than you might be used to. The wonderful flavors of the hearty portions of garlic and dill really stand out, and combined with the vinegar, give the pickles a very interesting crisp flavor to match the physical crispness. This pickle is meant to be a condiment, not a side dish or snackin' pickle. If you snack on dills, like I do, about 3/4 of the way through one of these spears, you'll find that you get a vinegar backlash that gives way to a "Whoa!" and a head-shake. This explains why some of the spears are cut in half. But even with the "Whoa!", the derned things taste great, so you shake it off and finish the rest with joy.

In a nutshell, these are pickles with a purpose. They're great with a sandwich, or with something that'll counter the vinegar periodically. They taste great, so they do make a good snacker pickle, but in moderation. The McClure family has done an artful job on these babies, and deserve praise for the Garlic Dill with a punch.

I've since found that Whole Foods carries McClure's pickles!

UPDATE (1/16/10): I've started referring to a Crunch-O-Meter scale of 1 to 10 to measure crunchiness. Its worth noting that the McClure Dill is my crunchy benchmark, the proverbial "10" of crunchiness. I'd almost say it was an "11", but I figure I'll leave the 11 out of 10 number as a guitar amp setting.

UPDATE (3/15/13): McClure's changed their picture, so I had to update it.  I've also found that their vinegar is at the extreme end of things--a BANG! of an after-taste.  Its the first vinegar I've tasted with backlash, and after 3 years, still sets the standard.  Their crunchiness is also my standard bearer.

8 comments:

  1. Just found your blog--good stuff! I liked the McClures too, so much so that I ordered a case online--I'm set for awhile with their hot and spicy pickles!

    Dave,
    Alexandria, VA

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 2 cents here. Bought a jar of these same pickles. Great flavour but they're a 1 on the crunch scale. I suspect it's an older bottle as the end date is Dec 2nd, 2015 (it was on sale), so check the date before purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have changed the recipe from delicious to BAD. The old recipe had 70 mgs of sodium, if you find it buy it! Unfortunately staying true to great grandma Lala's recipe has fallen behind the need for a non GMO sticker. For some reason this has caused them to increase the sodium by more than 4x. The new recipe gets a big thumbs down, Great grandma Lala's original recipe was the bomb. Progree? Me thinks not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have changed the recipe from delicious to BAD. The old recipe had 70 mgs of sodium, if you find it buy it! Unfortunately staying true to great grandma Lala's recipe has fallen behind the need for a non GMO sticker. For some reason this has caused them to increase the sodium by more than 4x. The new recipe gets a big thumbs down, Great grandma Lala's original recipe was the bomb. Progree? Me thinks not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My last purchase of McClure Pickles at Costco last week was disappointing. The pickles were mushy with a very hard to eat cucumber skin. Threw them away. I expected better from Mcclures. Going back to Grillo's and Bubbe's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dissatisfied with my last buy of Mcclures Pickles at Costco. Mushy pickles with hard to eat cucumber skin. Going back to Grillo's and Bubbie's

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got the garlic dill. I love a good dill pickle.
    I can only guess that the positive reviews are friends and family.
    Open a bottle of vinegar and drink up.
    That's what they taste like.
    No flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are the pickles I've been searching for all my life! Perfect, excellent pickles...I try to restrain myself from eating a jar a day! It's a 10 out of 10 for me!

    ReplyDelete